Powered By Blogger

Share

Bookmark and Share

Friday, August 20, 2010

Why I vote

I vote because it is my responsibility as a citizen to try and elect a government that can serve my needs and the needs of my country. As a republic, we elect candidates to do our bidding because it is not possible for a country of our size to directly decide every single issue through referendum. So I vote to put people of conscience, respect, knowledge and good will to do what is right. So what have I gotten? Mean spirited, partisan lightweights who would rather perpetuate a lie for a vote, feed the irrationality of extremists, and scream cliches that sound good to the time strapped voter but have no depth or basis in fact. I get politicians who weigh in on issues that they are totally unfamiliar with just so they can feed the anger and fury of bigots and idiots as a down payment on their votes. I will continue to vote, but the reasons have become less clear. We are not being served well as a nation where hate, religion, race, the color of your tie and your tan, trump what is important. We better change, or we are in deep deep trouble. Where are you Americans for reason and truth?

1 comment:

  1. I think you doing this blog is pretty responsible as well!! (And more important than voting in those big elections for President and Senate)

    ReplyDelete