Powered By Blogger

Share

Bookmark and Share

Friday, September 17, 2010

The Ultimate National Disgrace

In my Advanced Placement Government class, I am teaching the students about public opinion. One of the questions we ponder, is whether or not there is a list of American Values. After prodding and probing and brainstorming, one basic tenet is that most Americans believe that equality is an American value. Equality? Today it was announced that one in seven Americans is poor. America, the richest, most powerful nation on earth.. America, a democracy.. America, a nation of moral superiority. To this, I say a resounding NO. Both political parties, every President, every Congress will place blame, talk of this shame, and promise to change it. We haven't and we wont't unless real leaders with real passion for the issues of equality and moral superiority step up to the plate for real. Notwithstanding our economic turmoil, poverty in the richest nation on earth is an anathema to everything America supposedly stands for. Now, today, I don't have the plan to fix it, but I know it is wrong. I know that smart people can do anything and I know that Americans are caring and decent human beings. It is time to fix, for once and for all, this incredible National Disgrace. Where are you Americans for reason and truth?

No comments:

Post a Comment