Powered By Blogger

Share

Bookmark and Share

Sunday, January 23, 2011

The State of the Union

I love watching the State of the Union address. I realize that nothing of significance ever happens as a result of it and that it is mostly an example of symbolism, but I still enjoy it. The pomp and circumstance, the process of introductions, the well timed and well prepped applause and the occasional memorable line. Last year did produce some drama, when a Republican member of the House called the President a liar, but usually it is a quiet and partisan pictoral representation of America's politics. This year there will not be a female Speaker and in an effort to expand upon the recent calls for cooler rhetoric, some members will cross party lines and sit with the enemy. More symbolism. I will require my students to watch with a set of questions so they can see some of this symbolism in action and maybe even listen to the words for some greater insight into the important issues of the day. Yes, I love the SOTU address. I would like, this year, for President Obama to address when the heck we can bring all our troops home for once and for all and use them to rebuild America. I want the President to speak of a jobs program that really puts the money and the government beyond real job creation. I would like the President to stand up for the Health care legislation that was passed and address the ludicrousness of repeal. I would like the President to remind Americans that legislation is always about compromise and that changes can be made to bills without calls for complete destruction of legislation for political expediency. Lastly, I would like the President to remind those Americans who cannot see outside of our borders, to recognize the importance of global interconnectedness for our future growth and economic success. This is what I want to hear from President Barack Obama. Where are you Americans for reason and truth?

No comments:

Post a Comment